Valhalla  
вернуться   Valhalla > English > Common forums > Flame

Дерево 1спасибо
  • 1 Автор indiefox

Для отправления сообщений необходима Регистрация

опции темы
старый 24.11.2011, 12:25   #1

Проживание: Киев
По умолчанию What is the difference between the British and the Americans?

Hi, everyone!
I have always wondered, what are the differences and similiarities between psychologies and characters of people of the UK and the USA? Though they speak the same language, I believe they are very different, but in what way? THIS article helped me a lot in this research, but still I'd like to know your opinion. Thank you!
Best Regards,
Olga
старый 24.11.2011, 17:31   #2
banned

Цитата:
indiefox посмотреть сообщение
THIS article helped me a lot
Yep, me too.
And above all to reach the conclusion that the compiler had not the slightest idea of what he/she was talking about.
.. to say nothing of glaring mistakes.

I'd rather suggest using more competent and detailed studies before discoursing upon characters of both the one and the other.

P.s.: and the flag of England is not that of Great Britain, so it's ENGLISH. Not BRITISH.

Anyway, nice try.
старый 26.11.2011, 23:22   #3

Ok, do you have any opinion on the question I'm asking, except critisizing what has already been done?

Any info would be very helpful for my research
старый 27.11.2011, 00:24   #4

indiefox, if you don't mind asking...
Why is it "British vs. Americans"? For I am persuaded, apart from language and history, these two peoples have not so much in common these days. You could compare and contrast British and Russians, Americans and Germans, Spaniards and Greeks as well...

I just mean, your ways are somewhat mysterious to me
старый 27.11.2011, 02:05   #5

Проживание: Det barbariske land
Записей в дневнике: 41

To my mind, these to nations are completely different from each other. Britsh people ara more conservative, old fashioned, Americans are so called "pioneers" in everything. It's a younger nation. Americans are easier to understand for us Russians. And they aren't so dumb as they are thought of in Russia.
старый 27.11.2011, 02:40   #6
banned

Let's make it clear for us first, Gentlemen (and dearest Lady o.c.)

What the heck is a BRITISH character? English? Irish? Welsh or Scotch? ALL of them are for God's sake BRITISH, ain't they? And even all of those four are absolutely different.

And what is an American character if I may ask?
A guy from Montana has not so much of a Taxun guy, and a CA-issue seems quite peculiar to a Maine man. Home of the Brave is a 50 States and 1 DC big motherf****r if u'r gonna pardon my French indeed...

So what kind of comparison is the talk about?
старый 27.11.2011, 04:12   #7

Цитата:
Mr.Goodkat посмотреть сообщение
And what is an American character if I may ask?
A guy from Montana has not so much of a Taxun guy, and a CA-issue seems quite peculiar to a Maine man. Home of the Brave is a 50 States and 1 DC big motherf****r if u'r gonna pardon my French indeed...
Nice mind trick, but the problem about guys from Montana and Texas is that they have much more in common with each other respectively, than with a muchacho from Cochabamba (pardon my Spanish too). A nation is not only a common language, government, or currency, it's quite a unique way of thinking too.

As for the British, yes, it would probably make a good sense to speak of Englishmen rather than the British, Scots, Welshmen and Irishmen as a single whole.
старый 27.11.2011, 07:30   #8
banned

Цитата:
Myrddin посмотреть сообщение
A nation is not only a common language, government, or currency, it's quite a unique way of thinking too.
Sure but still there's more to it than that. I just can't tune in how a rude northern cowpoke is to compare to that pink Miami beach-sissy whereas the both of them are quite American.
Just explain, I'm not that goner...

Цитата:
it would probably make a good sense to speak of Englishmen
flashback:

Avi: Eighty-six carats.
Rosebud: Where?
Avi: London.
Rosebud: London?
Avi: London.
Avi's Colleague: London?
Avi: Yes, London! You know: fish, chips, cup 'o tea, bad food, worse weather, Mary f*cking Poppins... LONDON!

But the portrait of a typical Englishman... it's pretty hard to avoid stereotypes describing them you know;

In general I do share the Krum-Bum-Bes' view concerning their conservatism and old-fashionedness for they really cherish traditional traits but they're never dull even if it's high life. Though, I've been to witness for several times how they can get into the groove so we're way far off I must admit.

Emmm... English cinema's good.

'Four Weddings and a Funeral' with Hugh Grant forms the complete impression of high society and an English gentleman in particular but Guy Ritchie's films with that fabulous Cockney rhyming slang.. well that's somethin'.
старый 02.12.2011, 21:59   #9

Thanx))
Krum-Bum-Bes сказал(а) спасибо.
старый 03.12.2011, 18:36   #10

Цитата:
indiefox, if you don't mind asking...
Why is it "British vs. Americans"? For I am persuaded, apart from language and history, these two peoples have not so much in common these days. You could compare and contrast British and Russians, Americans and Germans, Spaniards and Greeks as well...

I just mean, your ways are somewhat mysterious to me
It's a part of a big research, I'm going to compare all the peoples of English-speaking countries, and why it has become that way that practically on the large scale the only thing in common between them is language. how come that people speaking the same language are so different and sometimes mock each other?

Добавлено спустя 7 часов 53 минуты:

Jack: Hey, you know what sucks?

Lindsey: vaccuums

Jack: Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?

Lindsey: black holes

Jack: Hey, you know what just isn't cool?

Lindsey: lava?

http://passexam.cc.ua/non-equivalent...nslating-them/

Последний раз редактировалось indiefox: 03.12.2011 в 18:36.
Sponsored Links
Для отправления сообщений необходима Регистрация

Тэги
american, british, character

опции темы

На правах рекламы:
реклама

Часовой пояс в формате GMT +3. Сейчас: 08:05

valhalla.ulver.com RSS2 sitemap
При перепечатке материалов активная ссылка на ulver.com обязательна.
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.