Valhalla  
вернуться   Valhalla > English > Common forums > Flame

Для отправления сообщений необходима Регистрация

опции темы
старый 25.08.2005, 16:06   #81

Noora,
Yeah well I understand that. So different languages, especially Finnish=)
Now THAT'S something...=)
Where are you from may I know?
старый 29.08.2005, 13:05   #82
гость

Ah.
Biblical Hebrew is my passion nowadays. I think I love it! :^)
It's so... Logical... Can't explain. But it's beautiful indeed.

[ADDED=jartur]1125309946[/ADDED]
דִּבֶּר דָּבָר
for example.
Isn't it beautiful?
Without מָסוֹרָה it would be
דבר דבר
Cool
старый 29.08.2005, 14:13   #83

jartur, I'd like to learn Hebrew, too, but I guess I'll have no time for it.. It's great.
старый 29.08.2005, 16:05   #84

jartur,
That is SO beautiful...
Ahm... But... What the hack does it mean?
(דִּבֶּר דָּבָר )
старый 29.08.2005, 17:10   #85
гость

Cavedweller, ah that's THE problem.
Dansker, [one] tell[s] [a] word.

[ADDED=jartur]1125324203[/ADDED]
Ah yes. It's pronounced as [dibb'er da:v'a:r], [r] is like in Deutsch or Hebrew ( alike the French one ).

[ADDED=jartur]1125324374[/ADDED]
And מָסוֹרָה is [ma:sor'a:] which word is used to call all the Biblical Hebrew points, accents, punctuation, etc. Because of masorets, who were the scientist and inventors of the system.

[ADDED=jartur]1125324606[/ADDED]
In fact מָסוֹרָה means 'legend, tradition' and these scientists were called masorets because of the word.
старый 29.08.2005, 19:09   #86

Проживание: Seitsemännessä kerroksessa

jartur, how much languages do you speak at all?
старый 29.08.2005, 19:23   #87
гость

Teemu, I'm afraid... none of 'em, you know
I DO STUDY some of 'em. But don't speak 'em. Russian is not as good as I would like it to be. English is much farther from ideal. French is as bad as dead cat. All others... I'm going to finish my Finnish grammar until New Year. Meanwhile have some Biblical Hebrew. Then back to Ancient Greek, then refresh and regain Latin. Hmm... then Spanish. Improve French. Danish, Icelandic, Swedish, Norwegian after. Then Chinese, Japanese. Tibetan, of course. Sanskrt and Pali are on the way. Vakhan just for fun. And then I suppose to die
P.S. Polsky is obligature, cuz I've bought the book laready
старый 29.08.2005, 20:22   #88

jartur, you're just like me, but I myself am more concentrated on Germanic branch of Indoeuropean. I can speak English, I learn Swedish, Norwegian, Icelandic, Faroese, soon Finnish, then German, Ancient languages like Gothic, Ancient Greek, Old English, Latin (in the University)), Hebrew, Arabian, Arameic probably, Frisian, Netherlands, Mongolian, etc etc etc. I don't plan my death, however
старый 29.08.2005, 20:53   #89

Проживание: Seitsemännessä kerroksessa

And I'm learning Finnish and Estonian now... Estonian is a bit more difficult than Finnish:horror: I'm a lunguophile, like you, jartur, Cavedweller But I'm more concentrated on languages, that are spoken in Europe (Indoeuropean and Finno-Ugric).
Of Asian languages I like only Japanese, cuz Japan is a big mystery for me After Finnish and Estonian I'd like to learn Scandinavian(especially Icelandic and Faroese) and maybe Baltic (I know Latvian a little). And
maybe then I will learn some Asian, like Chinese and Hebrew, maybe Armenian

[ADDED=Teemu]1125337999[/ADDED]
I forgot about Inuit(Greenlandic). Is anyone interested in it?
старый 29.08.2005, 21:40   #90

Yes, it is very interesting as well. Take the lot of words for 'ice' and 'seal'
старый 30.08.2005, 03:17   #91
гость

Unuktitut or Kalaallisut are very interesting, yeah.

And I've forgot about Nahuatl ( Aztec language ), Tzotlil ( the language of some American tribe ) and of course Tsalagi ( aka Cherokee, the language of Cherokee tribe ).

Cavedweller, I've made up some rearrangement. I suppose to die a li'l later now
старый 02.09.2005, 05:11   #92

Проживание: Фўннингўр, Фарерские Острова

Hi, there.

I'm Faroese, and thus I speak Faroese and Danish fluently.

In addition, I speak English and German, and am quite capable of speaking understandable Norwegian and Swedish.

The list of languages, I want to learn, is very long, but it's pretty much restriced to the I-E language family. Thus, Slovak, Ukrainian, Albanian, Armenian, Ossetic, Romanian, Spanish etc. are languages, I'd like to learn some day.

Of course, there are off-shoots to other non-I-E-languages. These include Finnish, Karelian, other small Uralic languages, Nenets, Arabic, Hebrew and maybe Greenlandic.
старый 02.09.2005, 16:54   #93

Проживание: Moskva, Venemaa

Цитата:
jartur
Teemu, I'm afraid... none of 'em, you know
I DO STUDY some of 'em. But don't speak 'em.
Me too
I've learnt Swedish and Norwegian (mostly Nynorsk) and can even write them very fluently (enough for chatting in ICQ) but I can't say that I really do speak them. Also I learn German, Faroese and Afrikaans. Once I tried to learn Icelandic but I failed It is so complicated! I'm planning to begin with Spanish as well. There are other languages also I want to learn - such as Mongolian, Kiswahili, Euskara and so on - but I don't think it is possible at the moment.

And of course I learnt English at school.
старый 30.10.2005, 21:25   #94

Проживание: Russia
Question

Dia anseo! Help me, please. In russian language there are many answers which don't give certain information for the question (often rhymed). "-kto?- kon' v pal'to", for instance. Would you be so kind to exemplify such meaningless answers from languages you know?(Gaeilge,in particular)
старый 31.10.2005, 09:17   #95

Heidning, would you consider Icelandic to be more complicated than Faroese? I need an outside perspective.
старый 12.11.2005, 13:27   #96

Проживание: Moskva, Venemaa

Those, who never learnt any of the languages, usually think that both are allmost the same. Or even that Faroese is more complicated, if they are acquainted a bit with Icelandic. But I see now - having tried to learn both of them - that Icelandic grammar is much more complicated. Especially verb conjugation:
For example the verb eiga:
ég á ----- eg eigi
þú átt ----- tú eigur
hann á ----- hann eigur
við eigum ----- vit eiga
þið eigið ----- tit eiga
þeir eiga ----- teir eiga
It shows very well that it's easier to learn to use verbs in Faroese than in Icelandic. Even weak aði-verbs can have soundchanges in Icelandic (kalla - köllum)! And we mustn't forget that in addition to that Icelandic verbs have full conjugation in conjunctive.
Isn't it sufficient?
старый 07.05.2006, 07:09   #97

Yes, thanks, that'll suffice.

I've always known, that Faroese is easier (well, I shouldn't speak really, since it's native to me), but it seems like the buzz isn't quite out on Faroese yet. OR it might also be why many people prefer Biblical Hebrew over Modern Hebrew or Ancient Greek over Modern Greek, the immense historical value of Icelandic. Of course, concerning the buzz, I'm trying my best, but it's not that easy being alone.

Anyway, I want to talk about another language, Slovak:

Any native speakers here? How is it compared to Russian (the only Slavic language I know something of)? What about it's great semivowels Ĺ and Ŕ? Easy or hard to learn? Etc. etc.
старый 08.05.2006, 18:21   #98

Проживание: Vínland

Цитата:
How is it [Slovak] compared to Russian (the only Slavic language I know something of)? What about it's great semivowels Ĺ and Ŕ? Easy or hard to learn?
It is close to Czech. However with a knowledge of Russian and, say, Polish you could understand that language pretty well, either spoken or written, after some "tuning", of course.
Syllabic L & R, from my point of view, are not that difficult at all, sounds of Faroese are much more sophisticated...
старый 09.05.2006, 06:56   #99

Цитата:
Hrafn V.
Syllabic L & R, from my point of view, are not that difficult at all, sounds of Faroese are much more sophisticated...
Really? Could you give me some examples?

And one more question: What's the difference between Czech/Slovak Ď and English J? Is Ď just a soft D?
старый 09.05.2006, 14:50   #100

Проживание: Vínland

Цитата:
Could you give me some examples?
O.K. Faroese (and Icelandic) "voiceless" b, d, g are really a pain in the ass.
Цитата:
Is [Czech/Slovak] Ď just a soft D?
Yes.
Sponsored Links
Для отправления сообщений необходима Регистрация

опции темы

На правах рекламы:
реклама

Часовой пояс в формате GMT +3. Сейчас: 02:24

valhalla.ulver.com RSS2 sitemap
При перепечатке материалов активная ссылка на ulver.com обязательна.
vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.